Sunday, January 22, 2012

Crafty Sundays: NFL Edition (Sewing 101 & Holiday Wrap-Up)

So this weekend has been productive. I finished two sewing projects and will begin a knit dress for my daughter. Baby steps.... Oh yeah my Christmas tags (GENUIS IDEA), see below for instructions.

My new found skill would not be possible without a great foundation. For those of you interested in learning a very handy skill and live in DC Metro, check out the following spot:

Bits of Thread Sewing Studio (Adams Morgan)
1794 Columbia Rd, NW Suite #6
Washington, DC 20009
(202) 642-9622

This place is cute and a great concept, but it is project based. They have a Beginners Class I & II that actually teaches a lot in two hour stretches, but too much for you to remember. (and you have no time to really take notes) You will definitely learn how to thread a machine, thread the bobbin and SOME basics but definitely not all. You have the choice of making a wallet or a kindle cover, a cute little token. Finishing a project makes you feel accomplished and will start you on your way. "Bits" also has a some cute class options such as "The Perfect Skirt" and "Bagoholics". Will you be a seamstress, NO. You will definitely have to take technical classes but it's a great start!

Currently in my technical class, I have just finished a tote bag and some pjs. It's not a sheath dress or a silk blouse but it's a start and I totally understand and have been experimenting with my machine. Take a look at my digs below:








Holiday Wrap-Up

So if you're like me you still have a pile of Christmas cards around. I hate throwing away cards... but now I can make use of the ones that do not go in my special Memories Box. My friend Jana (lead singer for the Monthlies, buy their album!), contributor on the Thursdays Blog  shared her (like a said before) GENUIS idea. Now I won't have to buy gift tags for any Christmas moving forward. Enjoy!  Thx Jana

Old Stuff = Used Holiday Cards
New Stuff = Gift tags

Cut the covers off of the lovely holiday cards displayed on your mantle and grab some ribbon, pens and a hole punch, and voila - you're stocked with gift tags for next year. You could even make a post-holiday crafting party of it, serving cider and the last of the holiday treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment