Saturday, November 3, 2012

And the Pursuit of Happyness

This part of my life I'm calling LOSING.  I feel like Will Smith in the movie The Pursuit of Happyness.  No I'm not homeless and yes I have a career but I'm doing way too much, in search of the perfect work/life balance.  And all I can say is when I saw Sarah Jessica Parker's role in the movie  I Don't Know How She Does It, I thought someone was secretly filming me from my closet.  So let me ask the question, "Can two upwardly mobile parents that work successfully have a family?"  Does this actually work?  Now don't get me wrong, I ♥ my family more than anything and would die for them.  And I ♥ my field of work.  But both are demanding, so do the two mix? 

All my life I have been an observer, watching how people interact, and I've always loved seeing families out and about.   Something that has always stuck with me is the economic impact on relationships.  I could never help but notice that couples that appeared to have less fortunate financial circumstances appeared to be happier.   It might just be my opinion, but the look of love I would see seemed genuine.  A simple life can be highly underrated.  Could it be the stresses of  work, or the age old adage "More money, more problems" that can sometimes tear more financially stable families apart?

BTW is it the stress that has an effect on the number of children couples are having? It blows my mind that couples with less seem to make it with multiple kids and those that are "well to do", bringing in more than decent salaries settle upon one child. Those that could provide so much for a child / children, generally don't have the time to do so.

Now of course any situation can work...  But two working parents with demanding jobs can be a set-up for disaster.  I have come to the realization that someone needs to either have a more flexible job (i.e. work from home, adjustable hours) that can help with the work / life balance, or a job that plays a supporting role.  Both of which make life easier with the kids, volunteering and the countless activities. 

So my time is now!   Luckily my hubby and I are on the same page in this fight for the pursuit of happyness.  And yes it is a fight!  This country has set the average couple up, from the price of a home in a  middle class neighborhood to the unacceptable public school education turning families to private school.  This can make a standard level of savings unattainable for most...and causing strain on relationships.  But each family HAS to be smart with choices.  ...choices in cars, vacations and total lifestyle depending on income can definitely have adverse effects.

So be smart and start working on balancing your life. I've recently let go of work to make more time for my family, because "all money is not good money".  Remember to enjoy your family!  And don't ever live without date night.  It's a must for married couples w/ kids!

Keep the ♥ alive and we all win!
 
A happy couple = happy children = 1 Big Happy Family
 
Thanks for reading
I would love to hear your opinions

4 comments:

  1. I'm single and without kids but I appreciate this post just the same. I loved reading your words --- "a simple life can be highly underrated." I could write a thousand paragraphs about that one sentence and about my newly found related perspective but I'll spare you or perhaps I'll organize my thoughts and come back and share them. But in sum, I think that the folks --- parents and non parents --- who truly and sincerely realize that success is rooted in love and passion and not money and stuff are the ones who live happily. I believe that with all of my heart. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I sincerely believe that too. People need to better understand what's important in life. **Just starting back with my blog and I'm going to keep it up. Feel free to stop back by...

      Delete
  2. I couldn't have put it better myself. It is definitely a juggling act.

    ReplyDelete